(This project is currently on hold due to COVID-19)
I believe that we all have a responsibility for managing health and keeping the cost of health care down. I believe all levels of Government need to provide the facilities we need to come together as a community and exercise. I also believe that as Canadians we each have a responsibility to do our part by exercising and eating a healthy diet.
Through preventative measures, such as exercise, we can help reduce the cost of health care preserving funds for those who need them most.
The City of Victoria in British Columbia, Canada is currently not doing its part to support those of us who self mange our health and keep the cost of health care down. Our municipal pool is at end of life and at risk of breaking down. The Mayor and Council have been flip-flopping on a decision for 10 years to re-build our much needed swimming pool and fitness centre with no decision in sight.
Victoria is a city of 90,000 people with several thousand using the facility. This is inexcusable. To encourage the city to move forward with a new facility I have been working with a group of citizens and we have formed an action committee. We are actively advocating for the pool.
Below are a few letters I have written to various parties with the hope they will help the Mayor and Council move forward with a new pool.
- December 9, 2019 – To the Honourable Selina Robinson, Minister of Municipal Affairs & Housing, Province of British Columbia
- December 16, 2019 – To he Honourable Catherine McKenna, Minister of Infrastructure and Communities, Government of Canada
- December 23, 2019 – To the Honourable Adrian Dix, Minister of Health, Province of British Columbia
- December 30, 2019 – To the Honourable Patty Hajdu, Minister of Health, Government of Canada
- January 6, 2020 – To the Honourable Deb Schulte, Minister of Seniors, Government of Canada
- January 8, 2020 – Mayor & Council of Victoria regarding Request for $725,000 to plan for new Crystal Pool facility
- January 8, 2020 – Councillor Ben Isitt regarding proposed path forward
- January 12, 2020 – Mayor & Council of Victoria regarding Crystal Pool “life safe” repairs
- January 21, 2020 – Letter to Honourable Shane Simpson, Minister of Social Development & Poverty Reduction