I am a resident of Victoria, British Columbia and live across the street from Beacon Hill Park. This 150+ acre public park is in the traditional territory of the Lekwungen First Nation and downtown Victoria. It is a well used park and important to the residents and the city.
In 1882 the park was granted in Trust to the City of Victoria. Over the years some folks have taken shelter in the park over-night. During the COVID-19 pandemic the Victoria’s Mayor & Council granted permission for 24/7 camping in the park. When they did this, they also closed most of the roads through the park. This drastically changed the nature of the park and changed the community.
Although 24/7 camping is no longer permitted, and the city has created a bylaw for now camping in the park for two years, the story is not over. The Mayor and Council have voted to keep the roads in the park closed which leaves a number of people in the disability community unable to access the park.
The following are some of my letters to political leaders, commentaries and interviews that captured some of my thoughts on the matter.
- Multiple Groups have filed complaints due to accessibility of Beacon Hill Park, CFAX 1070 with Adam Stirling, July 30, 2021
- Disability groups file human rights complaint over Beacon Hill road access, Times Colonist, July 29, 2021
- Beacon Hill Park Trust Case FOI Request and Follow-up, original posted May 13, updated May 20
- Voices of Victorians have gone missing, Letter to the Editor, Times Colonist, May 20
- Letter to Michael McEvoy, Information & Privacy Commissioner, Province of British Columbia regarding the City of Victoria’s records, Beacon Hill Trust Supreme Court Case, May 16, 2021
- Deputy City Clerk / Manager of Legislative Services, Legislative Services, City of Victoria, Request to participate in the Beacon Hill Trust Case, May 5, 2021
- Letter to Mayor & Council requesting they work on public safety in the park April 28, 2021
- 15-year old developmentally delayed youth choked in Beacon Hill Park tent, Adam Stirling, CFAX 1070, Thursday, April 22, 2021
- Man with Downs syndrome attacked on Dallas Road in Victoria BC, Susan Simmons, April 17, 2021
- How Safe is Beacon Hill Park?, Adam Stirling, CFAX 1070, Thursday, March 1, 2021
- Letter to political leaders pleading they work to help the people living in and around Beacon Hill Park, February 28, 2021
- Letter to residents of Victoria discussing the City’s vague plans for Beacon Hill Park, February 7, 2021
- One nearby resident of Beacon Hill Park wants to see an emergency task force to address homelessness in Victoria, Interview with On the Island with Gregor Craigie, CBC Raido, January 27, 2021
- Beacon Hill Neighbour says 24/7 camping is harmful to everyone, Adam Stirling, CFAX 1070, January 26, 2021
- Initial Letter to political leaders requesting they work to help the people living in and around Beacon Hill Park, January 24, 2021